Top 6 Newborn Must Haves
- Since You Asked…(Your Runner Dad) Podcast Is Now Live - November 29, 2022
- Simple Ways To Improve Performance as an Athlete - November 25, 2022
- Changes Are Coming - November 10, 2022
So you and your loved one have a baby on the way. It’s a very exciting time! Picking out a name, setting up the nursery, lots and lots of doctors visits! So much to consider, so much anticipation! Then, before you know it, there’s the birth followed by those fun-filled first four weeks! But before you get there, you’re probably wondering (usually around the time you put together your baby registry) what are those “must have” items for a new baby / new parent combo. So, without further ado, here is
The Runner Dad’s Top 6 Must Haves for a Newborn Baby
- Baby 411. I cannot tell you how many times during those first weeks and months we went to this book for answers. From crying to sleeping to gas to rash to everything in between, this book in an invaluable resource and worth the money!
- Diaper Genie. Some people think it’s a waste of money, but I cannot tell you how convenient it is to be able to just press your foot down on a pail and drop that diaper in to be devoured by the magical genie inside. Plus, emptying it is a breeze as well. As a new parent, you want things that are easy and that work.
- Extra changing pad covers. Your new baby is going to poop, and pee, and poop some more. And just when you think they’re done…BOOM! Poop all over the place! The first month or two we easily went through 4-6 pads a day. You can get a multi-pack that are machine washable. You’ll thank me later.
- White noise machine. There are plenty of options out there, so I’ll let you do the searching on this one. Your baby will sleep much more soundly (well, as soundly as newborns will sleep) with one of these bad boys. Word of advice: find one which stays on for a long time, or even doesn’t time-out at all. Sometimes when it stops your baby will wake up from the lack of noise. And don’t worry, they won’t get addicted to it.
- Swing and/or vibrating chair. Again, there are lots of options out there, but one or both are a must have. Both will help your baby relax and possibly nap when nothing else will. It saves you energy and gas money when you don’t have to drive around to get your baby to sleep…and let’s face it, who wants to be driving around at 3 o’clock in the morning anyway! Graco has some great options, as does Fischer Price.
- A great sense of humor. Those first few weeks of your child’s life are going to be tiring and stressful. If you can’t laugh at the fact that you’re trying to put a diaper on the stuffed animal because you’re so tired, or the fact that you just got peed on for the fifth time today, you aren’t going to make it. So just stay strong, laugh it off, and try to enjoy every single moment of it!